An Extended Document Data Source To Support MIMEBean

Aug 22, 2012, 8:02 PM

Tags: mime xpages java

Ever since I personally came up with the idea of storing serialized Java objects in Notes documents via MIME, I've been trying to use the technique all over the place, since it's basically the best thing since sliced bread.

My latest notion was that the pattern would be all the cooler if the serialized Java objects could be referenced directly in EL, so you could do something like #{doc.LineItems[3].cost}, pulling directly from a more-or-less normal Domino document. I decided to give implementing this a shot, since it would also have the side benefit of introducing me to writing JSF components/complex types.

The path I took sure feels like the long route (lots of manual doubling up of property definitions and proxying methods), but it seems to work: I have a "mimeDominoDocument" data source that acts just like a normal document source except it transparently serializes and deserializes Java objects. It's not exactly a perfect implementation (the setValue() method has a rather naive method of guessing which objects should be serialized and which shouldn't, and I didn't handle the case of setting a value to an object and then using, say, getItemValueString()), but it should be fine for demo and basic purposes.

I set up an example database with pages for the appropriate code here: /tests/mime.nsf.

Commenter Photo

Stephan H. Wissel - Aug 23, 2012, 4:34 PM

Way cool. One idea: have a property that defines what goes into the MIME header (probably additionally to the  body) - that will become fields usable in views

New Comment